Lagos State Government has recommended to residents to speak with qualified technicians on the change of their generators at home and offices from petrol-powered to liquefied petroleum gas-powered.
This advice came as a result of the removal of subsidy which in turn, led to the hike in the price of petrol.
The Director General of the Lagos State Safety Commission, Mr. Lanre Mojola, on Sunday said that the advice was as a result of the administration of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s commitment to ensuring the safety of the lives and property of residents.
The commission noted in the statement on Sunday that, “CNG and LPG are generally cheaper than petrol, offering potential cost savings over the long term. These fuels are cleaner, and so do not contaminate the air as much as petrol and diesel do. Natural gas and LPG are often more abundant and domestically sourced in certain regions compared to petrol.”
It also noted that the conversion process comes with risks and safety concerns.
“Spark or heat from the generator can cause fire outbreak if gas leakage occurs from the hose or cylinder valve. Explosion could occur if the generator house is not properly ventilated, thereby allowing gas leak build-up in enclosed space. LPG is bottled under high pressure with potential for explosions if not properly handled,” the commission said.